Oh I do love a lovely bathroom don’t you?
I think it is so nice for a bathroom to be a pleasure to visit, whether for a quick rest break or a long luxurious bath. When I visit someone else’s home I love to see a nice bathroom too.
They vary so much don’t they?
But I think there are some things that all lovely bathrooms have in common and some common goals we should all aim for when seeking to create that perfect bathroom.
Here are my top ten tips:
- Cleanliness is so important in a bathroom, so a good cleaning routine and the right products are essential. I am wary of bins in bathrooms and toilet mats as I think these can both create unpleasant fragrances.
- An air freshener is essential but opening the window and airing the room is a vital part of keeping a bathroom fresh too.
- Good ventilation in the bathroom is really important, so a fan plus open doors and open windows will prevent the room steaming up and mould and mildew forming.
- Minimal clutter is a great way to keep a bathroom looking good, nobody really wants to see your bits and bobs (unless they are super stylish and coordinated ) so a good cupboard/storage system will really help keep clutter to a minimum.
- An aura of peacefulness is a bathroom essential and a calming house plant such as aloe vera or having a fragrant relaxing candle, can really add to this effect.
- A perfect bathroom would be well stocked and never run out of toilet roll or hand wash. Particularly when guests visit (yikes!)
- A lock on the door is also really important. A bathroom is a place of privacy and this should be assured.
- Co-ordinated towels and facecloths give a sense of cohesion to a bathroom. I would avoid patterns (but that is just me!), I think as long as your colours and patterns don’t clash though the style pretty is much irrelevant. I like everything white but it really does show every mark.
- A modern bathroom doesn’t have to be state of the art but it does mean your bathroom will function well. Rim free toilets are a fabulous new invention, have you heard of them? With no rim it means there’s nowhere for germs to hide. Its an ultra hygienic design and so simple to clean. Have a look over at Twyford bathrooms for more on this brilliant innovation.
- Lastly everything in your bathroom needs to be something you love. It should be either beautiful or useful and it should make you glad you own it. It is a key room in your home and despite being a very practical room it is so important you feel happy with it
Your bathroom should ‘spark joy’ just like the other rooms in your home and it should be a place of good function ans well as a calm and pleasant sanctuary that makes you and your visitors comfortable and relaxed.
What would you put in your perfect bathroom?