Are you looking for cheap things to do in London ?
Oh I do love London.
I have loved it ever since I was a little girl and we would visit Blackheath once a year at Christmas to visit my Great Uncle. I would stare out of the top of the red bus windows as we travelled there from St Pancras loving all the lights and the amazing buildings and vowing one day to come back and really immerse myself in this grand old city.
My kids are enchanted by London too and my plan this summer is to take them to stay for a few days to really explore. But we already have a holiday booked so this needs to be a cheap trip to lovely London.
I have been having a brose of the web and I have been asking my friends and I have drawn up a list of 10 cheap things to do in London.
- Just wander around. The markets, the pigeons, the street artists, the crowds, the buildings are all just amazing. Wandering about gives you a great feel for London and is entertaining all by itself.
- The art in London is incredible and many galleries are completely free to visit. Have a look at this checklist for all the free galleries and exhibitions
- Personally I adore the street art of London it is top quality, surprising and thought provoking. I adore street art myself so visiting Shoreditch is an absolute must. It is an impressive gallery all of its own.
- Park life – London parks are an absolute treat and there is a uniqueness to each and everyone. For me a must visit whenever possible is the Peter Pan statue in Kensington Park. What treasures will you find. A full list of London Parks can be found here
- Eating out can be expensive so why not try eating out-side instead. Hampstead heath and a picnic and a London adventure all by themselves and the kites flying overhead and the people passing by will be a lovely lunch or tea tine experience.
- Riding a bus is the greatest of fun and a brilliant way to get around. A 7 day bus and tram pass is just £21.20 and will pretty much take you wherever you want ot go. Have a look here for maps and fares
- It’s not all city life – there are deer to be spotted at Richmond Park and in the completely and fabulously free natural history museum you can come face to face with a terrifying T-Rex!
- Seeing the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace is one of most iconic things to do in London and a quirky part of London life, steeped in pomp and tradition.
- One of my favourite things to do in London is visit Kings Cross with the kids and push the trolley through the wall to platform 9 3/4 a la Harry Potter. You may have to queue but oh what a photo opportunity. If you fancy a tour then check out Strawberry Tours, a London-based tour company, who even run a Harry Potter walking tour. Strawberry Tours run free (tip-based) tours and you juts pay what you think it is worth. Their tours run every day.
- To find the cheapest hotels in London I would suggest you pop over to the brillant hotels search facility at HotelsCombined where you can peruse the location, style of accommodation and budget of your choice and they will show you all your options trawling the top travel sites so you don’t have too. This will save you time, as well as money. A fantastic resource.
London is an awesome place and lots of things to do there are either cheap of free this list is by no means exhaustive. Please tell me in the comments below if you have any other ideas for cheap things to do in London.