Home Hacks to Make Your Life Easier
Home Hacks to Make Your Life Easier – gosh we all want these don’t we!
Cleaning and organising the home has become a huge craze this past year, thanks to Netflix’s Tidying Up with Marie Kondo and Mrs Hinch’s book on all the best cleaning tips. As a result, retailers have noticed a dramatic increase in cleaning product sales across the UK, but the trend is about much more than just shining your sink.
Instead, both cleaning icons focus on a holistic approach to not only achieve a happy home but a happy mind too. By removing unwanted items and setting a routine to keep your space clean and tidy, you can completely transform your life for the better.
Neatness and order make life easier, so in the spirit of enjoying a clean and thrifty home, here are five home hacks to help you achieve this.
1. Outsource Difficult Cleaning Tasks
While many of us do enjoy getting stuck in with cleaning tasks (it’s good for our soul and our purse), this doesn’t mean we have to do every job. There’s always one (or a handful!) that are either too difficult, too time-consuming or better left for the professionals.
For example, carpet cleaning should be done around once a year to remove the dirt and odours that have sunk in over time. However, to achieve quality results, you’ll need high-temperature steam and the very best products, so take the leap and hire a professional. It’s a well-deserved annual cleaning treat and your home will look amazing afterwards.
2. Add a Plug Timer to Your Lights
You may have noticed on TV that when characters arrive home after a long day at work, their house is already looking warm and inviting with lamps already switched on. How does this happen? The answer is plug timers.
You can use these nifty gadgets to control your lights, fans and any other appliances and decide when you’d like them to switch on and off. Plug timers are also a great tool to ensure efficient usage of energy.
3. Introduce a Kitchen Blackboard
If you’ve ever returned from the supermarket without those essential items, then introduce a kitchen blackboard system to your household. Whoever uses the last of a product — it could be toilet roll, aluminium foil, or toothpaste — is responsible for writing it down on the board. Not everyone will remember to do it at first, but once the daily habit creeps in, that’s another home hardship crossed off your list.
4. Use Labels on Your Pantry Items
Labels are an excellent way to organise your home, especially in the kitchen where there is an abundance of jars and containers to sift through. Life is so much easier when you know exactly where to find the exact herb or baking ingredient you’re looking for.
This doesn’t have to be a boring task either — in fact, you can get creative with labels so that your jars are beautiful and productive. View pretty label inspiration here.
5. Little but Large Miscellaneous Tasks
Often, it’s the smallest changes that make the biggest difference to our home lives.
- Add a hook in your hallway near the front door to put your keys on — and keep them there. This way, you’ll always know where your keys are — and you will save time in the morning!
- Everyone has an electronic wire draw or basket, where wires tangle and get lost. Instead, save your cardboard loo rolls, and add a different cable to each roll. This will save on tangles — and you’ll know exactly what each wire is for.
- If you have minimum kitchen cupboard space, yet plenty of height, add a plate rack stacker for ease. You’ll fit more plates and bowls in your cupboards — and you’ll be able to take a specific item out without having twelve more stacked on top of it.
There you have it, our five home hacks to make your life easier. Do you have any to share? Let us know in the comments below. Also check out my interiors blog A beautiful Space for more ideas